Wednesday, April 29, 2009

baked mushrooms from the middle-east

Last night I threw some stuff together and it came out really well.
I remembered a dish Kat Egan used to make that was like a baked potato casserole almost braised in tomato paste and olive-oil... this is inspired by that very dish, only spicier with whole mushrooms instead of spuds, practically no prep...
Oh yeah!

1/2 kilo button mushrooms (whole)
3 medium tomatoes, diced
spanish onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, diced
4 tbsp tomato paste
4 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp sweet paprika
2 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp mustard
zest of 1 lemon
salt n pepa

I threw all of these into a casserole dish (no lid) and baked in a hot oven for 30mins.
after that time I put a heaped tbsp of nuttlex stirred through and baked for another 10 minutes.
it was rich and delicious.

I served with a variation on trad. lebanese rice and lentils where I cooked the rice with the lentils, fried onion and a tbsp of paprika in the rice cooker, it worked really well!
Of course there was a green salad as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment